Beta was a success!
As a matter of fact, out of the previous three GPL’s that I’ve been in, I’m pleased to say that this has been the most successful beta. I’m also happy to say that the playtesters congregated around Comrade Quest’s test space first thing when the beta started! It’s great to know that Comrade Quest is so highly anticipated!
Now with beta out of the way, there’s roughly two-and-a-half weeks left till final release. By final release I hope to have one very polished level ready, with polished mechanics, visuals and audio. By final release I hope to get in:
- Cleaned up animations for characters
- Better physics and collision detection for platforming and combat
- A combo attack for Olaf, our current protagonist
- Sound for the menus, characters, and attacks
- An upgrade menu at the end of the level, for players to upgrade their attacks, buy outfit changes, etc.
- Cleaned up Communist summon (no more Marx clipping between layers)
- Ambient background track
- Background and foreground that moves with along with the camera. Think how objects moved around in DrinkBox Studio’s Guacamelee. This will probably be the most time intensive, since it deals with parallax.
- Animated menus and improved HUD
- And a special little surprise for everyone on the team!
Since this is the “polish” period, I want to make sure my animators and environment artists are spending as much time revising assets and creating new animations. I’ll be stepping in a bit to help with the UI side of things, since that’s a specialty of mine, and something I don’t mind doing on the side. This list isn’t all that large and I’m quite confident we’ll get most, if not all of it done in time for the final release.
Post commandeered by the US Claire Force